Tips for Panic Attacks, and the Use of Herbs as a Natural Anxiety Remedy
Panic attacks and anxiety are serious conditions, and professional medical advice should always be sought. However there are a few simple tips for panic attacks, and certain herbs can be used for a natural anxiety remedy for less severe cases.
Panic attacks are the result of severe anxiety, which can be caused by a wide range of problems. The sufferer can experience many different symptoms, ranging from mild discomfort, hot flushes, or perspiration when faced with a certain difficult situation, right up to an overwhelming sense of doom, and a feeling of utter hopelessness.
Medical journals describe anxiety as “a common state of mind, often associated with a realistic assessment of difficulties that may lead to physical symptoms such as sweating, palpitations, trembling, insomnia, loss of weight and general irritability”
Anxiety and panic attacks can be further exasperated if the person concerned also suffers from depression. The problems will then seem greater and much more difficult to cope with, and so the anxiety will increase leading to more panic attacks. Often the symptoms associated with anxiety may hide those of depression.
Tips For Panic Attacks:
(1) (Breathing.) Breathe in deeply and hold for 7 or 8 seconds, then breathe normally for a few breaths, and repeat several times. Some people find relief by breathing into a paper bag or cupped hands, as if for hyperventilating.
(2) Try to distract yourself by thinking of something calming or soothing, or by counting backwards from 100, anything that will occupy your thoughts and take them away from the situation that causes the attack. Do Not fight the attack as this often makes it worse.
(3) If you are able to, try listening to some music. This is easy to do when you are at home, but you could always carry a personal stereo or MP3 player with you when you leave the house. This is also a distraction technique, giving you time to calm down and take control.
(4) Talk to someone. Making contact with another person not only takes your mind off of your attack, but will also help you feel that you are not alone and helpless.
Herbs used as a natural anxiety remedy:
(1) (Passion Flower.) This is a strong calming, anti-spasmodic herb. It acts as a central nervous system depressant which has a relaxing anti-anxiety affect. It is also useful for cases of insomnia, as it is a mild sedative, but should only be used on the advice of a doctor.
(2) (Chamomile.) Another mild sedative, but not as strong as passion flower. Chamomile tones the nervous system, relaxes tense muscles and calms nervous digestion. It is also a very good general tonic.
(3) (Skullcap.) This is an excellent soothing, and mind calming herb. It is useful for all types of anxiety. It too is a mild sedative and has an anti-spasmodic effect.
These are just a few of the herbs that are available to use as a natural anxiety remedy. There are many more but as with the tips for panic attacks you should always consult your Pharmacist, Doctor, or Herbalist before using any alternative medicines, treatments, or herbal remedies.